- Status: Adopted!
- Adoption Fee: 375
- Species: Dog
- Rescue ID: D200082
- General Color: Brown/Chocolate
- Current Size: 19 Pounds
- Current Age: 3 Years 6 Months (best estimate)
- Housetrained: Yes
- Obedience Training Needed: Has Basic Training
- Exercise Needs: Moderate
- Reaction to New People: Friendly
Weight: 19 lbs
Adoption Fee: 375.00
Hey everyone! My name is Kipper. I am heartworm positive, but don’t let that deter you! I will be completely healthy again very soon.
If you're searching for a sweet, loving, unique looking, designer-type dog, who just wants to be spoiled and snuggled - well - look no further, I'm right here! I'm one of a kind. They don't make 'em like me very often, I can promise you that. I have a big head, huge ears, stunning, soulful hazel eyes, a large personality and enormous loving heart - all wrapped up in a cute, squishy, little chiweenie size body. I'm reddish-brown and look a bit like a Kangaroo. My Foster Mommy named me "Kipper" aka KipKip, Kippee, Mr. Kipper. She says I'm a bundle of love and sunshine, and that "everyone needs a Kipper in their life."
I was saved recently from a crowded, scary Texas shelter. Luckily, a nice volunteer shared a video featuring my beautiful singing voice (I'm quite the serenader). I think I'm a bit famous now since tons of people watched it, and campaigned to save me. It worked. I got rescued and I'm in a loving foster home now.
Foster Mommy adores me, and is nursing me back to health from a nasty upper respiratory infection. I get to meet her dogs and cat in a few days, and she thinks I'm gonna do great with them. I'll check back in to let you know how I do. I used to be a street dog, so.....getting along with others - humans and dogs - while looking macho is kinda my thing. I may look tough with this big ol' head and pointy ears, but really, I'm a total sweetheart.
If only my former street friends could see me now. I'm finally learning how to "dog". I just discovered toys (yippee). I think I've hit the jackpot and am adjusting well to the good life.
A few fun facts about me:
- My fur is silky soft like velvet.
- I love my people deeply. I'm seeking a human (or family) who wants me by their side always!!!
- I love a soft bed, hugs and kisses, belly rubs, neck rubs, a nice meal, but mostly I love my humans!
- Foster Mommy thinks I'd probably enjoy having other furry siblings to keep me company too.
- I'm still pretty needy as I'm adjusting to this new life of a spoiled dog. Can I go everywhere with you?
- I go to Foster Mommy's work office, and everyone there loves me. I sleep calmly under a desk. I'm no trouble at all!
- I'm 100% house broken (zero accidents!), and walk great on a leash.
- Sometimes I howl when Foster Mommy leaves the room - see - I just need my humans.
- I've learned to crawl over the dog/baby gate (ruh roh)....so now I'm learning to be crated when necessary, but ugh, I'm not a fan.
- I'm so affectionate. I want and need to feel love and attention. Hint: Can I sleep beside you in bed at night? Please?
- I'm not overly active or annoyingly hyper. I'm happily a couch potato, with you by my side.
- I'll be an amazing constant sidekick, and would love to explore everywhere with you.
- I'm fully grown and weigh 20 lbs soaking wet.
- I'm pretty much a category 5 clinger.
- In summary: News Flash: I'm awesome.
Everyone needs a Kipper in their life!!!!!
Since Kipper is heartworm positive,
he will need to be treated in at our clinic in Princeton.
Heartworm treatment consists of 3 injections. The first injection will be in roughly 30 days after coming into rescue. The the 2nd and 3rd injections happen 30 days after that. When a dog is going through heartworm treatment, they should be on "restrictions", meaning a lot of lap time, crate time and always on a leash. Heartworm disease is NOT contagious, it is transported via mosquitos.
Here is a great article explaining what heartworm is and how it's treated:
An adoption application is the best way to show your interest in an animal.
All Ruff Start dogs and cats are spayed/neutered, up to date on age appropriate vaccines, microchipped, dewormed, and on monthly flea/tick and heartworm prevention (dogs) as well as heartworm tested (dogs).
Ruff Start Rescue is a foster based rescue. Animals are located in homes throughout Minnesota. We do not have a facility where animals are kept.
Ruff Start Rescue Adoption Policies: